Wednesday, January 9, 2008

QOD: The Return


Before Facebook, AOL Instant Messenger was the hip and easy way to stay in touch with friends (or stalk people, if you're into that sort of thing). Instant Messenger users maintain(ed) profiles, some more detailed than others. My profile was always very simple: it contained my contact information and a Quote of the Day. What was a Quote of the Day, you might wonder? Quote of the Day was a phrase, sentence, or sometimes even a conversation that made me smile, laugh, or think. Friends, family (especially my three brothers), random strangers, signs, books, newspapers, and more fueled my daily updates, which I put in context so that they were amusing to almost any viewer.

Working abroad at a boarding school that banned Instant Messenger caused the disappearance of Quote of the Day for nearly two years, although living with 45 high school girls would have certainly given me plenty of material. I can't seem to get back into the whole IM scene now that I've returned to the US, but after a few months of working at washingtonian.com I've become fairly internet savvy and have decided to revive Quote of the Day by taking it into the blogosphere.

The purpose of the Quote of the Day blog is the same as the IM profile QOD ... except now I can add photographs! So make sure to check back here soon and often - I promise to keep you entertained!

2 comments:

Tim Harwood said...

I'll have to follow this blog. You should add a twitter feature to your blog if possible. That's like IM, and you surely use it on facebook.

Anonymous said...

Hey beautiful !
just got your message, have just added your blog to my favorites, so i'll make sure I come back here often ! :o)
Am in the process of moving out this week end, so packing and unpacking, but will get in touch soon. Got your new year card, really appreciated it, more news to follow !
bisous de France
Sylvie